If you didn't speak your native language, would you learn it as a second language ? Everyday life and customs

Hi there !

I've seen this question recently, and I think sharing it with you guys could be fun 😃 !

If you didn't speak your native language, would you learn it as a second language ? Why ? Why not ? 🙂

yeah for sure.most of Shanghai children don't speak native language.but we learn it as a second language.include me

Hi there !

I've seen this question recently, and I think sharing it with you guys could be fun 😃 !

If you didn't speak your native language, would you learn it as a second language ? Why ? Why not ? 🙂

Hi Sabri! 😊 Do you mean if you live in your native country or in another country? My first language is Dutch so if I would not speak Dutch I would learn it if I would live in The Netherlands and not if I would live in another country. Because the language is very difficult to learn and it is not a big world language so I would prefer improve English or French first. But if you live in a country it is important to speak the native language or a lot of things are difficult. And you? 💁‍♀️💁‍♀️

If I lived in another country to be fair I wouldn't learn italian: it's hard and it's not spoken that much😖I think I would focus more on my french🇫🇷🥐 (I already know some but its not that good)

Well, I don't speak the native language I am supposed to since it has been forbidden in the past in France and damage has been done now. I would like to give it a try in the future, though.

Else, for French, I would probably not learn it. Sad trust is that France doesn't use its incredible cultural capital and its institution to spread French and French culture, but promote americanization more.

Well, I don't speak the native language I am supposed to since it has been forbidden in the past in France and damage has been done now. I would like to give it a try in the future, though.

what language was banned in France?

what language was banned in France?
All regional ones. Breton, Corsican, Basque, Alsacian, Occitan...

and in our country, regional languages ​​within those regions are considered state languages, along with the Russian language

Hi Sabri! 😊 Do you mean if you live in your native country or in another country?
Hello Yue ! Yes, just imagine if you were in another country, or if you lived a totally different life in a totally different place (like imagine you were born in Spain or in Italy, or India... I don't know haha ! It could even be your second country if you have one !

Sad trust is that France doesn't use its incredible cultural capital and its institution to spread French and French culture, but promote americanization more.
Yeah that's sad really. I think we reached a point in which the regional subdivisions of France do clearly not represent the Cultural diversity of France anymore. Since 2016 and even before, we have weird "regions", or what I would call "economical entities" that are just... Regions. No real cultural identity like Brittany or Corsica would have. Instead they chose to merge regions with somewhat distinctive cultures (like bro what is Nouvelle-Aquitaine ???? What is Grand-Est ? What have they done to Alsace ? How are the regions and cultural minorities supposed to defend their languages when French is rubbing and crushing out these languages ?) Lianshen, I think it's a really good idea that you learn some Breton if you wish too. You could maybe have an impact among the other Breton-speakers, and save your cultural heritage. Noz vat. (I learnt this word from you 😃)

I honestly didn't expect myself to talk a bit of politics here, but when you think about it, it's really linked. All countries and languages have effects on other languages.

and in our country, regional languages ​​within those regions are considered state languages, along with the Russian language
Yes, that's great ! Even though unfortunately those languages are experiencing a decrease since more people speak Russian. But I saw that Russia somehow tried to represent cultural minorities by giving them an Autonomous Republic (Tatarstan, Chuvashia, Dagestan, etc...) and each one has an official language along with russian, thus saving the culture. 🙂

I'd prefer thisn but what has been done has been done and it's oto late to change things now. These years, some efforts are made to promote Breton with a standardized version and DIwan school (all of the teachings are done in Breton), but it's not spoken in daily life.
Not to be totally against France though, they did that so that everyone speaks the same language. Before that, communication between French and Breton was difficult, especially since Breton isn't even a romance language.

Yeah that's sad really. I think we reached a point in which the regional subdivisions of France do clearly not represent the Cultural diversity of France anymore. Since 2016 and even before, we have weird "regions", or what I would call "economical entities" that are just... Regions. No real cultural identity like Brittany or Corsica would have. Instead they chose to merge regions with somewhat distinctive cultures (like bro what is Nouvelle-Aquitaine ???? What is Grand-Est ? What have they done to Alsace ? How are the regions and cultural minorities supposed to defend their languages when French is rubbing and crushing out these languages ?) Lianshen, I think it's a really good idea that you learn some Breton if you wish too. You could maybe have an impact among the other Breton-speakers, and save your cultural heritage. Noz vat. (I learnt this word from you 😃)

I honestly didn't expect myself to talk a bit of politics here, but when you think about it, it's really linked. All countries and languages have effects on other languages.

Oh yes, this was really sad to see, especially since many people disagreed with it! InBrittany, they kept the "pays nantais" cut off from us despite historically belonging to Brittany (it was removed around the WW2).
I'm glad that you see the link between both, although I didn't expect you to go further either!

Devezh mat 😉

Edited by Lianshen .

All regional ones. Breton, Corsican, Basque, Alsacian, Occitan...
Corsican is an italian language

Corsican is an italian language
You can consider Corsican as an italian dialect if you want, but Corsica doesn't belong to Genoa anymore.

Corsican is a language or dialect of Italian origin. It has nothing to do with French. I know very well that Corsica belongs to France.

Corsican is a language or dialect of Italian origin. It has nothing to do with French. I know very well that Corsica belongs to France.
And? Breton is a Celtic language, Alsacian is a German language, Basque is not even Indo-European. The point is not about the origin of the language or even if it is a dialect or not. The point is that, in France, they are different languages from French.

And? Breton is a Celtic language, Alsacian is a German language, Basque is not even Indo-European. The point is not about the origin of the language or even if it is a dialect or not. The point is that, in France, they are different languages from French.
It Is a problem for France?