Regular time change Politics and governments

In France, and in some EU countries, we change the time regularly. On the last Sunday in October, we go back 1 hour (standard time) (instead of 2 am it is 1 am), and on the last Sunday in March, we add 1 hour (daylight saving time) (instead of 2 am it is 3 am).

Last night we changed the time, and we lost an hour of sleep.

(((Personally, I'm against changing the time. At first, I'm always confused. What time is it? Why is the sky not the same as usual? I sometimes forget to set my watch, and sometimes when I forget, I find out in the middle of the day that the time has changed. So I win / lose an hour, and it messes up my whole organization! Of course, that only concerns me.
Indeed, I find that the change of time has harmful effects. Obviously it's a good thing to save electricity, but did you know that this change of time increases the risk of heart attack twice as much?)))

Recently, a survey of the European Union was carried out in the countries which are part of it. It seems that this is the last time that we change the time, because the majority voted against, and prefer to stay in summer time.

(((I prefer winter time, because I am someone who loves the night. I don't know why, but I prefer when the sky turns dark in the evening. However, at night time. summer, it's not the same thing. When I have to go to bed, the sky is still very blue, and it doesn't make me want to sleep, I feel like it's barely 4 pm!)))

Do you change the time in the country where you live? What is your opinion ?

Yep we do (the Netherlands) and I think we should just end that tradition as it has no benefits as far as I can think of now

Personally, I agree with you. It is good for the energy but not for the body.

Edit by Sabri.KC .

This summertime/normaltime-thing is nonsense as can be...

I personally prefer summer time, but I’ve heard Italy has decided to keep them both, which doesn’t have much sense in my opinion.

The South of the continent should be keeping summertime in order to benefit of more light in winter, whereas it would be useless for the Northern countries to maintain it because they already have an excessive amount of light hours in the summer, which indeed provokes sleeping issues.

It gets dark at 16:40 in November-December here, which is excessively early and psychologically demotivating, even considering the fact that it’s rush hour and everybody is essentially awake.

Summertime would longer it until 17:40 and the benefits would be numerous. It would firstly be safer during the rush hours, for example.

Secondly, we would manage to save more energy even in the darkest months.

On the other hand, there will always be someone who’s sleeping at 08:00-09:00 in the morning, so I would prefer it to be darker in the early morning in order to benefit of long-lasting afternoons.

Nah it's not. It makes almost no change in France for energy because the lightbulbs aren't consuming much energy with our progress, and that's partly why there are some debates about stopping the whole thing. In additioon, in order to save energy, France better use the proper Time Zone (Greenwich meridian is passing by Bordeaux for instance...) instead of using the German one.

As for picking either the winter or the summer time, then I think choosing the solar time would simply be better (which means winter time). As for now, we have to deal with a 2 hours lag between the solar time and our (which is why it is not recommended to go outside at 2pm during summer, because, in fact, it's just 12).

I personally prefer summer time, but I’ve heard Italy has decided to keep them both, which doesn’t have much sense in my opinion.

The South of the continent should be keeping summertime in order to benefit of more light in winter, whereas it would be useless for the Northern countries to maintain it because they already have an excessive amount of light hours in the summer, which indeed provokes sleeping issues.

It gets dark at 16:40 in November-December here, which is excessively early and psychologically demotivating, even considering the fact that it’s rush hour and everybody is essentially awake.

Summertime would longer it until 17:40 and the benefits would be numerous. It would firstly be safer during the rush hours, for example.

On the other hand, there will always be someone who’s sleeping at 08:00-09:00 in the morning, so I would prefer it to be darker in the early morning in order to benefit of long-lasting afternoons.

I'm not a fan of summer time, but I respect your opinion, and the arguments you make are very convincing.

Nah it's not. It makes almost no change in France for energy because the lightbulbs aren't consuming much energy with our progress, and that's partly why there are some debates about stopping the whole thing. In additioon, in order to save energy, France better use the proper Time Zone (Greenwich meridian is passing by Bordeaux for instance...) instead of using the German one.

As for picking either the winter or the summer time, then I think choosing the solar time would simply be better (which means winter time). As for now, we have to deal with a 2 hours lag between the solar time and our (which is why it is not recommended to go outside at 2pm during summer, because, in fact, it's just 12).

Really ? I didn't know it...

In fact, every country is on their own. I don’t know what France is planning to do about that, however I heard Italy sadly decided to keep the situation unchanged.

I'm not a fan of summer time, but I respect your opinion, and the arguments you make are very convincing.