Sorry, but... Grammar question! :) English

Hi everyone!
Sorry to bother you with grammar stuff, but I would actually have a grammar question for you... :blushing
This sentence:
"They have chosen their travelling destination before going there"
Is it correct that? The use of the past perfect + before + a verb in -ing form?? Can you help me? 😃 Thanks! big_smile

Seems okay to me. But it's "traveling" with one l, isn't it?

They | have chosen | their travelling destination | before going there.

Subject | Verb | Object | Time

Edit by yerodin .

I think it's with two L...
Thank you!
And if I write:
"They had chosen their destination before going there"
Is it correct too??

Well, it's okay too, but there is a difference between the two sentences you wrote.

1. They HAVE CHOSEN their traveling destination before going there. -> Simple Present Perfect. They are still choosing and did so in the past.

2. They HAD CHOSEN their traveling destination before going there. -> Simple Past Perfect. They had chosen and made a decision and are not choosing anymore.

For 'travelling': double L is British, single L is American..both forms are accepted.
As for the tense, in this context it makes little difference and both forms are correct, but the past perfect should be used only when talking about a past event that happened before another past event.

Personal note: ''have chosen'' sounds better for the ear.

Hope it helps 🙂

The proper term is actually "travel destination" (in both British and American English).

As a native speaker, "They have chosen their travel destination before going there" sounds awkward to me. Grammatically I believe it's okay, but from a usage standpoint, a native speaker probably wouldn't use those tenses in that order, with those words.

More natural sounding:

They have chosen their travel destination before they go (there).
They had chosen their travel destination before they went (there).

(The final "there" can, and usually would be, omitted.)

Thank you all! 🙂)
You really helped me 😃

I also think it will be "travel destination" and not travelling because travelling sounds like a cointinuos tense when the meaning of the sentence is a simple present perfect tense