Period books and movies - anyone? Films, music, TV

Hi there! Is anyone here interested in novels and books from a couple of centuries ago? The classics, of course, such as Jane Austen, Gaskell or the Brontës, but also maybe others that are less known?
I'm especially interested in the ones that depict women's situation and gender issues, but I'd like to know new ones, and know people's opinions on them.
A Room With a View is one of my favourites...

Without thinking twice, I would say Anna Karenina by Tolstoy.

A great one, without question. I also really, really enjoyed Les Misérables, by Victor Hugo, I thought it had beautiful descriptions and very inspiring stories and reflections...

Next selection would be, Jane Eyre by Brontë. It was a brilliant novel combining poetic sensuality with a contemporary realism. Far beyond from being a typical Victorian age story.

Yes, I agree completely. I was surprised by the level of depth in analysis about the social structures and female condition.

Margaret Oliphant's novels should be read, especially "Miss Marjoribanks." Less known gem but absolutely sharper than Austen's.

I haven't read them, although I've heard about her. Thank you for the recommendation. Any interest E. M. Forster? His novels, or the ones I've read, are very subtle and beautiful, but he seems to be unknown where I come from.

E. M. Forster, is less known member of Bloomsbury Group in British Literature. That is a pity though. "A Room with a View" is an excellent novel. He is one of the most underrated writers in the world.

'hello guys

Hello Pramodya!
I agree, Forster is totally underrated; A Room with a View was the first book of this kind that I read, and I loved it. I find his books are very subtle, and very beautiful. I haven't read all of them, though; any opinions on "Where Angels Fear to Tread"? I'm thinking about reading it next.

Where Angels Fear to Tread. It's absolutely worth reading. But it is quite obvious to see it was his first novel. It has an interesting plot, and typically we can feel Forster's sarcastic teeth on the mentality of British aristocracy. Not a masterpiece literally but yet the glimmers appear.

I'd recommend Eugene Onegin by Pushkin. Much more than a period novel. Almost an encyclopedia of society and daily life in the era.

Ok great, thank you for the recommendation!

Have you read "Notre Dame de Paris" written by Victor Hugo! I think, when you are interessed in the fate of female characteres, then the beautiful dancer Esmeralda will be a fascinating person! Greetings to Spain!

If you like german literature, than i think "Die Budenbrooks" written by Thomas Mann and "Antonie Budenbrook", the daughter of a rich family, has a terribile fate in the plot of the story! Greetings!

I haven't read them, but thank you for the recommendation! Greetings from Spain, and to Germany!