Interest in old languages Everyday life and customs

Have you any interest in the language that precedes your mother tongue ?
Old English, old german, old french, Latin, ancien greek, etc...
Do you make some efforts to find the origins/the roots of some modern word ?
Would you buy a former language dictionary ?

Yes, figuring out the origin of the words is very interesting. True, in modern Russian there are many words from Greek and Latin. Finding out the origin of native Slavic words can be quite difficult

I speak Icelandic (which hasn't changed much in over 700 years) and it's interesting to see the connections between that language and Latin (and a lot of the words are the same, they didnt change the way they did in a lot of other European languages) Danish, Swedish, and German, thought sometimes the connections are convoluted and not always apparent.

I studied both Latin and Ancient Greek at uni~ it was a lovely time. And it was so fascinating and fun to rediscover words in my native language through the prism of either. You'd be surprised how much lives on even though people like to say these are 'dead languages.' But it doesn't really stop at languages; there's a wealth of contemporary beliefs, motifs and traditions that date back to these ancient civilizations. (Also, kudos for the cool conversation starter!)

Salvete Amici !
Ego Verenius sum et Linguam Latinam re-studeo.
Mii Linguam Latinam veta est, istam loqui non possum.

I was not expecting to see so many people interesting in the ancient languages !
Of course Latin (and Ancient Greek) have a tremendous part in many current languages, and for this, have a certain beauty
But, I also find very interesting how former English looks or may heard like German !
Here is an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr2LRpx4Uyk

PS: I also agree that Latin should be the First Language in the World !

Yes, the song is very beautiful. Unfortunately, most people do not have the opportunity to learn languages ​​such as Old English, Gothic or something like them. Because:
1 Usually there are no normal textbooks. This trouble affects even living, but rare languages. It is hardly possible to find a good textbook, for example, on the Chechen or Eskimo language, although they are also very interesting (it may be easier in English in this regard, for example, I know that there is a Sumerian textbook in English).
2 Not so much is known about these languages ​​as about Latin and Greek; there is no comparable amount of information on them that could attract attention.
3 Many are more interested in those languages ​​that they can use in their work or communication.
In fact, all languages ​​are interesting and beautiful, each one can do unique and delightful things in rhetoric and literature.
It is very sad that now the old languages ​​are forgotten, and many living people begin to die.
In my opinion, it would be great if more people understood the importance of linguistic diversity and ceased to relate to the language only as an instrument of communication. What do you think, friends?

I agree with you Ilya251.
I would resume your words with only one... Maturity
I think that jumping into the study of former languages needs a certain maturity, coming later or even never...
"Why the hell would you learn a language that nobody talks and which is totally useless ..." (That comes from mouths which I've been witness...)

But before studying "all the beauty from all the languages", I think that "root languages" like Ancient Greek and Latin for the EU should be the priority... No need for a EU to learn Ancient Chinese... the studying of it own culture would give you more than the "restarting" of another... Only a personal opinion

I meant that it would be nice if people had equal opportunities to learn all languages ​​and that speakers of rare languages ​​pay more attention to their preservation.
As for Europe, I agree that classic languages ​​should be a priority here. It is completely wrong that the role of the main language in Europe is played by English, which in this part of the world is spoken by the population of only one small state, while Latin affects all local cultures. In addition to historical justice, which, in my opinion, is violated by the current situation with the English language, the creation of a common language space in a non-state language will make the distribution of scientific information and the development of culture more equitable . It would be great if we could somehow contribute to this. Latin is wonderful, so I would like to do something good for it

I like study about sanskrit language and "pali' .the roots of sinhala language . Those language called as world ancient language give birth for other language . However ,all languages are important to protect diversity of cultures and protect history .

this topic is interesting and my answer would be incredible. In old Chinese, there are poets with words of same pronunciation, For instance,
all the poet consists different words, different meaning, but sounds the same, SHI.

石室诗士施氏,嗜狮,誓食十狮。施氏时时适市视狮。十时,适十狮适市。是时,适施氏适市。施氏视十狮,恃矢势,使是十狮逝世。氏拾是十狮尸,适石室。石室湿,氏使侍拭石室。石室拭,氏始试食是十狮。食时,始识是十狮,实十石狮尸。试释是事。

有一位姓施的诗人,他的名号叫石室诗士。他喜欢吃狮子,发誓要吃十头狮子。姓施的常常到集市里看狮子。十点钟,刚好十头狮子来到集市。这时,刚好姓施的(也)来到集市。姓(施)的看这十头狮子,仗着箭的力量,使这十头狮子死了。姓(施)的收拾这十头狮子,到石头做的屋子。石头做的屋子很潮湿,姓(施)的命令侍者擦拭石头做的屋子。石头做的屋子擦(好了),姓(施)的开始尝试吃这十头狮子。吃的时候,才知道这十头狮子,实际上是十座石头做的狮子的尸体。(请)试着解释这件事。

I like study about sanskrit language and "pali' .the roots of sinhala language . Those language called as world ancient language give birth for other language . However ,all languages are important to protect diversity of cultures and protect history .

Sanskrit is really a very interesting language, especially the search for analogies with European languages ​​(I was happy when I found the similarity of the word "fire" in Latin, Russian and Sanskrit)). But, unfortunately, there are almost no high-quality Sanskrit textbooks in Russian, there are definitely no pali textbooks, so this is the first time I hear about this language. Maybe you can talk about some of its interesting features or something that impressed you in the process of studying? I think this is very interesting

this topic is interesting and my answer would be incredible. In old Chinese, there are poets with words of same pronunciation, For instance,
all the poet consists different words, different meaning, but sounds the same, SHI.

石室诗士施氏,嗜狮,誓食十狮。施氏时时适市视狮。十时,适十狮适市。是时,适施氏适市。施氏视十狮,恃矢势,使是十狮逝世。氏拾是十狮尸,适石室。石室湿,氏使侍拭石室。石室拭,氏始试食是十狮。食时,始识是十狮,实十石狮尸。试释是事。

有一位姓施的诗人,他的名号叫石室诗士。他喜欢吃狮子,发誓要吃十头狮子。姓施的常常到集市里看狮子。十点钟,刚好十头狮子来到集市。这时,刚好姓施的(也)来到集市。姓(施)的看这十头狮子,仗着箭的力量,使这十头狮子死了。姓(施)的收拾这十头狮子,到石头做的屋子。石头做的屋子很潮湿,姓(施)的命令侍者擦拭石头做的屋子。石头做的屋子擦(好了),姓(施)的开始尝试吃这十头狮子。吃的时候,才知道这十头狮子,实际上是十座石头做的狮子的尸体。(请)试着解释这件事。

Wow, this is really incredible! The poet you quoted seems to have had a masterful command of Ancient Chinese! In some European languages, phonetically very homogeneous phrases can be composed, but I think that something like this will not be possible to create. That's great, thanks for sharing this)

Haha, have heard about this XD
Is that a story with a lion and a hill or something like that ? XD
To rebound with latin, is anyone at his ease enough to talk Latin ? @Ilya ? you seem very knowledgeable in the ancient languages field XD

In lingua latina loquere poteo parve et male, queo grammaticam scio minine et parvus est numerus vocabula, qui poteo abhibere liber

I myself am surprised by the level of my knowledge in this area. Reading linguistic articles on Wikipedia and forums for three years gives its results😄

Verendam linguam latinam loquis.
Mea Lingua Latina robiginosa est.
Exercitātionem careo et multos libros non legebam.

As you may read, my Latin is totally rusty and need practice and more Duolingo ! XD

You speak quite well, because I do not know all the words of these)