Sociology Project English

So this is a weird thing to just throw out but for school I am doing a project about how stereotypes and perspective interact so if you want to talk about that then that would be cool.

Sounds interesting. What are the specific questions which the project is thought to answer?

Sounds interesting. What are the specific questions which the project is thought to answer?
Me and my partner are looking to do some interviews and these are the questions:
What do do you think of when you think of America?
What stereotypes have you heard about Americans?
What stereotypes have you heard about your culture or people in it?
How do/did those stereotypes affect you?
How do you feel about the way your culture is portrayed in the media?
Have stereotypes affected the way people have interacted with you?
how have stereotypes affected your perspective on people/things?

In general we want to examine how stereotypes influence and shape perspective and we thought that by getting international perspective we would sort of add another layer of depth to our project.

Q: What do do you think of when you think of America?
A: amazing nature, shitty food, rediculous 'defense' budget, highest GDP in the world yet 3rd world conditions for countless Americans, Blues & Jazz music
Q: What stereotypes have you heard about Americans?
A: I once heard that in a public survey, more people were in favor of invading Syria than being able to locate Syria on a map.
Q: What stereotypes have you heard about your culture or people in it?
A: well since I'm from Germany.. you know the Oktoberfest and Nazi thing basically
Q: How do/did those stereotypes affect you?
A: I find them mildly amusing
Q: Have stereotypes affected the way people have interacted with you?
A: During my service, when a US soldier asked me about my branch (airborne) he said 'so you're a Fallschirmjäger! you have no soul!'
Q: How do you feel about the way your culture is portrayed in the media?
A: I don't give a shit
Q: how have stereotypes affected your perspective on people/things?
A: I won't lie, it's hard to ignore the stereotypes in the back of my head when thinking about people (not only speaking of nations but basically any group, e.g. gays, hippies, christians you name it) Yet, I'm trying the best I can to not let them have an influence in me when facing an individual.

Edit by istanblues .

Q: What do do you think of when you think of America?
A: Presidents claiming that they are spreading "democracy" to the far far far lands. I started to think that oil and democracy are synonyms in American English.
Q: What stereotypes have you heard about Americans?
A: They are arrogant and inconsiderate. They are all obese. These are the ones I heard a lot.
Q: What stereotypes have you heard about your culture or people in it?
A: We are very rich with stereotypes about us. From camels to wild harems I heard an amusing variety of them.
Q: How do/did those stereotypes affect you?
A: They amuse me in general. Once a guy asked me whether I own a camel or not, I replied I prefer flying magic carpets rather than camels.
Q: How do you feel about the way your culture is portrayed in the media?
A: If they are right in their claims, I simply nod, if not, I don't mind since their arrogancy is not a shame of mine.
Q: Have stereotypes affected the way people have interacted with you?
A: Hell, yes. After knowing me, they even tried to find some alternative origins for me.
Q: How have stereotypes affected your perspective on people/things?
A: If not enough data or fact, then I do not set any perspective but stay neutral. Because stereotypes are like hard-shells containing the truth, and they are pretty though to break in after some point.

Thank you all for your answers, this is exactly what we are looking for!

What do do you think of when you think of America?
A country which offers a great variety of natural landscapes. The distances are huge compared to European countries.

What stereotypes have you heard about Americans?
Americans are said to be cordial, but superficial. The focus on their own country. Many of them are said to be not so well-educated.

What stereotypes have you heard about your culture or people in it?
Germans are said to be correct, efficient, always on time, formal and inhumorous.

How do/did those stereotypes affect you?
I'd say much of that is true, besides: In fact, I'm sure that there is a German sense of humor. It's quite dry, and the formality often leads to keep the laughing more restrained. Maybe this is misinterpreted as being humorless.

How do you feel about the way your culture is portrayed in the media?
I don't like it. Often there's still a narrowing on the Nazi-Thing. These generations are almost gone.

Have stereotypes affected the way people have interacted with you?
Yes. In Britain, France, Turkey...at a certain point it's comes still to the topic "war". I was born 30 years after it ended. I've nothing to do with that.

how have stereotypes affected your perspective on people/things?
You cannot escape from stereotypes and prejudice, that's a human habit. But you should always be open to question them - they're a mental contruction, so they are changeble. But no one will ever be without.

We are coming to the end of our project so thank you for the answers they were very useful

@HavenS Me and my partner are looking to do some interviews and these are the questions:
What do do you think of when you think of America? I think about a free country where you can live however you want, and to do that you have to find your ways to make your own freedom, and it means makes your own money. What stereotypes have you heard about Americans? A little bit unsocial, hard workers, and with bad food habits. What stereotypes have you heard about your culture or people in it? Everyone in Brazil is seen for foreigners as passionate for samba and football living in 'favelas', and it is the biggest cliché ever. How do/did those stereotypes affect you? It doesn't affect me. How do you feel about the way your culture is portrayed in the media? The media have been always "click-hunter", showing sensationalism and half-truths. Have stereotypes affected the way people have interacted with you? I think it hasn't. how have stereotypes affected your perspective on people/things? I try to avoid having stereotypes about people, because each human being is unique, and those common impressions are about general senses, so it usually doesn't reflect the truth.

1) When I think of America it occurs to me that it is the nation of great opportunities
2) In Italy, stereotypes are that Americans are warmongers and that Americans become obese in adulthood
3) Americans want to be seen powerful in the eyes of the world and are patriotic
FOR OTHER QUESTIONS I MUST THINK ABOUT IT

Thank you all for your answers they were very helpful. The project has ended now so yeah