WORLD READ ALOUD DAY Anything and everything

I would like that people shared their favourite passages from books they have read 🙂

Edited by NICOMARADA .

This idea seems interesting to me 😊

“Children are dying.'

Lull nodded. 'That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words. Quote me, Duiker, and your work's done.'

The bastard's right. Economics, ethics, the games of the gods - all within that single, tragic statement. I'll quote you, soldier. Be assured of that.”

from Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson

I really like your passage, It is deep. 😉 Thank you for your collaboration.
I'm going to add a poem of Lord Byron:

“There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more,
From these our interviews, in which I steal
From all I may be, or have been before,
To mingle with the Universe, and feel
What I can ne’er express, yet cannot all conceal.”

Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

I went to the woods, because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of live and see, if I could not learn, what it had to the teach,
and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
- Henry David Thoreau, Walden

NICOMARADA, thanks and I do recommend the books, they're all really deep if you think about it. I like your quote as well, and as I was reading it I knew it sounds familiar, it's shown at the beginning of a movie I like very much. it's called Into The Wild, if anyone's interested.

‘It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.'
From Sherlock Holmes

I like all your contributions. Specially, the quote from Sherlock Holmes 🙂
Also, I have watched "Into the Wild", for me it was shocking.
Thoreau is really interesting, I haven't read anything of him but I would like to 😉

This topic has been inactive for a while and is now read-only.