To who like to read Anything and everything

Hello and thank you for taking time to visit my topic ๐Ÿ™‚

I am currently busy with a book that I don't like very much, so that I hesitate to stop reading it.

So I ask myself about reading in general:
*What would make you buying a book ? The summary, the cover, the reviews, etc ?
* If you find it disappointing, would you read it till the end ?

Eager to see your reply ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hello Verenius,
well... I was in the same situations some time ago with a specific books: didn't like the story and I was going to put in on the shelf without finishing it, but at the end I rushed to the end without big expectations and I was ok with it.

In my opinion you have to evaluate "pros and cons" of finishing the books...
example:
--> if you have a huge book-list and your time is limited DO NOT waste more time on this one and pick another one XD;
--> but if the books is in a foreign language, maybe you can go until the end keeping in considertion that even if you are not enjoying the story you are still making a good exercise and is worth the time that you are spending on it.

About your questions, my motto is "never judge the book by the cover" :-P, usually I go through reviews on the internet and opinions of other customers on Amazon (usually I buy from the web).

Bye.

Hi MarcoAlfonso93,

Thank you for your reply ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm not a great reader, in fact, I barely read at all ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
With my studies, I had already so much syllabi that I didn't wanted to have more lecture ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
But now I try again but...well... that's not fantastic XD

I talked with a friend, who is a HUGE books reader, and he told me that usually he read till the 50th page and if he is not convinced, he let the book down.
You seem to be a good reader, do you think 50 pages is enough to assess the value of a book ?

And, in general, are there others here that don't/didn't really like reading books ? Did you overcome it and discover "The reading's world" ? XD

Verenius

Hello again,
Yes, your friend give you a very good tip! I think that 50 pages are enough to have a general idea of most of the books, but probably you have to increase this value to 100 pages if the book is "slow" or particularly long.

I was forgetting one thing: maybe a good way to start can also be audio-books, it would be just like listening to music on a Ipod...

Hi Verenius !
Personally, I don't care about the cover of the book. It can be old, I can read it !
If I find a book boring, I try to finish it but it's difficult to read something that you don't understand/like...
Two days ago I started to read "Anne Frank's Journal", it's really interesting !
What about you ?

Hello again Friends !

Yes, Audio-books would be a good alternative for me, thanks for the tip ! ๐Ÿ™‚
And I think that 50 pages is more than enough for me cause the books that I've read weren't so big.
So 50 pages represent, I think, a good proportion of it ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

To answer to you, clxudix (Where the hell did this alias comes XD ), I feel a little bit ashamed cause the last book that I tried was a Best Seller (so I don't want to declare a war by criticizing it ๐Ÿ˜ƒ).
But one of the last books that I read till the end was The Hobbit by Tolkien (Was it necessary to mention the author...).
I started it cause I had seen the movies that I've liked (except maybe the third, to many illegalities for me).
Don't know what you think about them, movies and books, ... ?

Another book that I started, but also stopped before the end, was The Horus Heresy, by multiple authors, based on the 40k Warhammer universe. Do you know it ?
I stopped it cause I hadn't the time to read it although I found it great. Now that I have more time, maybe I should re-start it ๐Ÿ˜‰

Verenius

Hello again Friends !

Yes, Audio-books would be a good alternative for me, thanks for the tip ! ๐Ÿ™‚
And I think that 50 pages is more than enough for me cause the books that I've read weren't so big.
So 50 pages represent, I think, a good proportion of it ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

To answer to you, clxudix (Where the hell did this alias comes XD ), I feel a little bit ashamed cause the last book that I tried was a Best Seller (so I don't want to declare a war by criticizing it ๐Ÿ˜ƒ).
But one of the last books that I read till the end was The Hobbit by Tolkien (Was it necessary to mention the author...).
I started it cause I had seen the movies that I've liked (except maybe the third, to many illegalities for me).
Don't know what you think about them, movies and books, ... ?

Another book that I started, but also stopped before the end, was The Horus Heresy, by multiple authors, based on the 40k Warhammer universe. Do you know it ?
I stopped it cause I hadn't the time to read it although I found it great. Now that I have more time, maybe I should re-start it ๐Ÿ˜‰

Verenius

Hmm, I chose this pseudonym 'cause my name is Claudia, that's all xD

I know this moment : when you choose a "best seller" & you find it boring... I read John Green's books (for example) & I only found one good book (in my opinion)...

I don't really like movies so I read what I guess it will be interesting !

Hello ,

- I don't buy a lot books, I rent them in the libary most of the time.
- When I buy a book it is because the summary makes me curious to know the story of that book.
- Yeah I still hope that the book is getting better of the end is great.

Clxudix, less impressive that I thought, I was hoping for a kind of a code.
How could you not like movies !? Agree with the fact that surely the majority of them is bulls*** but there are some very good (depends on what you like ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Hello evelyn1994, do you read some pages of the book before renting it ?
I prefer buying and always seeing them on my shelf later on... I'm more materialistic, I confess.... XD