Why cats purr? Anything and everything

Our cat follows me to the kitchen and of course to the living room. He loves to be in my lap and he starts to purr when i pet him. He also licks my hands, face and toes.

Edit by Hummingbirdfan95 .

I remember I've read something about this topic (I have 3 cats).
Actually nobody knows how the "purr" sound is produced by cats, especially because not all felines purr, but as to the reason why they do so, cats generally purr when they are happy or relaxed or when they consider you as memeber of their family and, well, they want to let you know. In fact, in wildlife, purrs are used especially with kittens (for example during the feeding time) and also the kittens purr to communicate with their mother.
Anyway, purrs may not always be a positive sign: some studies have demonstrated that cats purr also when they are annoyed by something... But I think that's something rare.

Actually nobody knows how the "purr" sound is produced by cats, especially because not all felines purr, but as to the reason why they do so, cats generally purr when they are happy or relaxed or when they consider you as memeber of their family and, well, they want to let you know. In fact, in wildlife, purrs are used especially with kittens (for example during the feeding time) and also the kittens purr to communicate with their mother.
Anyway, purrs may not always be a positive sign: some studies have demonstrated that cats purr also when they are annoyed by something... But I think that's something rare.

Do you mean that my cat loves me when I pet him?

Yep! If your cat purrs when you pet him, this means that he is happy, that he likes the way you pet him or the fact that you take care of him. And as I said before, purrs are his way to say to you that he considers you as a member of his family

Yep! If your cat purrs when you pet him, this means that he is happy, that he likes the way you pet him or the fact that you take care of him. And as I said before, purrs are his way to say to you that he considers you as a member of his family

Thanks 4 information