What do you think about separatism ? Politics and governments

What do you think about separatism in your country ?

We don t have separatism in Germany! We have been separated for 45 years and this was not good! I think separatists are egoists, who don t know the value of a nation that is united!

We don't have separatist in Poland. Hmm... Well, there are some voices in the Silesia, that it would be good to have the autonomy and be separated country. Even some our cabaret is about rich Silesia and poor Poland. Quite funny.

But it is nothing serious after all. So like I said, we just don't have separatist either. Enough is that... People are split about politics and parties.

Depends on the situation... If it is a minority with a completely different culture, language, etc., the peoples' right to self-determination should apply I think. In germany so far there is no movement so far exept the bavarian indipendence party, mainly of nostalgic reasons https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavaria_Party

There are 2 examples of separatism I can relate: the first one being a Flemish separatist tendency and the second is the Berber one in Morocco.
The former: there is no good reason imo to keep ambiating this. Times used to be very different when Flemish peasants were oppressed by the French elite. Not to say tables have turned, but still: tables have turned. The country is being led by a group of Flemish and French representatives, with Flemish most dominant. And it's very embarrassing to see separatist ministers trying to have a go at it, like Jambon in the Middle East a few weeks back when he asked the audience "Do you know Flanders" and everything went silent. No of course not, they thought they were meeting a Belgian representative.

Then, the Berber case of Morocco: for me it shows how the Flemish might have felt in the 19th C. with Berbers today still actively oppressed.

The first grand exodus happened around 1960-70 when Berbers fled Moroccan lands to start new lives, as mineworkers or laborers in the Netherlands, France and Belgium mainly, but also Germany.

That stream has never stopped. Even though in the nineties some second generation Berbers in Europe were ambitiously considering returning through interesting business ventures in Morocco, they soon saw what their parents had told them about.

The corruption that goes far beyond royal affairs, discrimination against the indigenous people of the land, educational oppression (teachers are appointed to regions from a central government apparatus, brèf: there is no education in the North), hence low to no schooling, in turn decreasing chances at finding a decent job, if any. Jobs tend to be distributed among local elite, so many youngsters are reasoning that education, whatever its quality, is a waste of time anyway.

Economy is based on agriculture, trade, hard skills in wood, metal and fishery too.

Then there is the youngest case of Al-Hoceima, the Berber revolt a couple of years back, which started with the death of a fisherman who jumped after his confiscated goods in a moulding garbage truck.

And several people who were arrested then still in jail now, etc.

So, for me separatism seems less sensible for the Flemish who live comfortably, educated and in relative wealth and health at this point in time, than for the Berbers.

Edit by Calanthe .