different slang/ informal phrases :) Everyday life and customs

I'm not sure what the word is for 'slang' in other languages, but basically it's when a word in everyday language is replaced by something more informal.

In french, it's like saying 'elle est pleine' instead of 'elle est enceinte'

sadly i do not know any more examples of slang in other languages no123

but that's why i started this thread 😁

for another example, a phrase people use here in UK is 'man up'. guys usually say it to each other if they are scared of something or if they're not being very manly 😛

anyways, please post any informal phrases or slang from your country below, :innocent but please do not post anything too explicit or rude :innocent

This is harder than I thought!!! 🙂 Thinking of different slang is hard, because I use it so naturally!!! Umm, in the UK, don't they say gutting a lot? I don't know, though. 🙂

Where I live, people say Bawm when talking about things they like. It absolutely drives me mad to hear people say it, but almost everyone does. 🙂

[quote]Umm, in the UK, don't they say gutting a lot?
lol oh yeah. and if someone feels terrible about something they can say they 'feel gutted' 😛

Yeah in cali we shorten words so instead of saying conversation we say convo. it gets annoying lmao. Umm what else is there? IDK off the top of my head but try looking at Urbandictionary.com. It is pretty funny some slang they come up with.

Yeah in cali we
Ha, this is I think the first time I see someone from California who says "Cali". Isn't it supposed to be a word used by strangers..??

lol yeah I suppose. Do strangers use that word? idk 😛

in argentina we use "Banda" when we want to say something is a lot, like - i waited for you a long time- te esperé banda de tiempo.

Well it is funny because there are slang terms that are used in my school but my friends form other counties (not countries, counties) have never heard them. So I'm assuming people form around the USA may not have heard them either... I have a couple...

"Cised" - "I am so cised" = I'm excited. This can also be said to tease someone... "Dude, you are a little too cised" = "Calm down, its not that exciting"

"In a minute" - "I haven't seen you in a minute!" = I haven't seen you in a long time.

"pressed" - "Man, you are pressed" = It means the same as cised but you are teasing someone when you say it...

Thats all I can think of right now. (:

Edit by AllieO .

Well it is funny because there are slang terms that are used in my school but my friends form other counties (not countries, counties) have never heard them. So I'm assuming people form around the USA may not have heard them either... I have a couple...

"Cised" - "I am so cised" = I'm excited. This can also be said to tease someone... "Dude, you are a little too cised" = "Calm down, its not that exciting"

"In a minute" - "I haven't seen you in a minute!" = I haven't seen you in a long time.

"pressed" - "Man, you are pressed" = It means the same as cised but you are teasing someone when you say it...

Thats all I can think of right now. (:

: O omg I have never heard that slang term in my lifeee,
that's so dope, that we've got different slang in the States.

Lol. I know right?! (: Haha

In France we often use : "Je suis cassée/crevée/claquée" = That is to say = I'm very tired.
"J'ai la dalle" = I'm hungry
"J'ai la flemme" = I'm lazy
"Oh la vache !" = "NO ? REALLY ?" (if you translate it, that would be strange ! 😁 )
"Je t'ai attendu trois plombes !" = "I'm waiting for you a very long time !"
"Tu me saoules/gonfles" = "I'm fed up" ("Saoule" is the same that "drunk")
"Crâne d'oeuf" = nickname gives to someone who is bald !
"Avoir une vie de chien" = To have a bad life (Even if lots of dogs have a beautiful life !)
"Le bide" = The stomach, mais aussi : "Faire un bide" = For exemple, making a joke and nobody's laughing.
"Une pure soirée" = An awesome party

Lots of teenagers uses "Je te kiffe" to say "Je t'aime" = Not romantic at all !!!!
And also = "Je kiffe ..." = "I like ..."

Many of these expressions are used by young people and not by serious adult 😉

Tight- cool, awesome, etc.
Jozzin'- to lie
Trip (trippin')- Over react, over exaggerate

my uncle always calls things "janky", meaning generic or low quality
my cousin says the phrase "in a grip" meaning in a long time, so youcould say"its been a grip"= its been a long time.

I dont know all of it, because we have such weird slang in Kansas, and I dont know what other people use. But her's some anyway.
"man, you really turn the air blue!" means "man, you cuss a lot!"
We say "pop" instead of soda, or coke.
A lot of times i hear "You're wet", which doesn't literally mean soaked in water, but means "you're wrong".
"say wa?" and "Do wa?" are used for "what did you say" and "What did you do?"
I hear "She's a Beatrice" for "She's a bit**"
We also says "Hang out" or just "hang", like do you want to hang out?

Wow, it's so cool to see that there's different slang used in different parts of the States! Sweet! Here's some from good old Oklahoma:

Sup/What's up/Wassup= What's happening in your life?
Sweet=Something good or great
Y'all=You all (used as "Wow, ya'll guys are awesome!)

At a lesson of the French language we learned such phrases:
C'est la cata! - It is accident!
Elle a une sale tete! - She looks bad.
C'est bidon! - Nonsense!
I am sorry, if something have written incorrectly.